Summer Learning Fun



Planning on going to the beach but don’t want to stop the learning? We’ll you don’t have to! 

Seashells are a great reading and writing tool.
I know you haven’t heard of it but I think you should try it.

To begin, let’s start with the drive. I remember as a kid looking out the window on the way to the beach. Maybe you live close to the beach less than 30 minutes but I live an hour from it. I will stare out the window or play eye spy with my siblings. How about instead of these things you read out the appropriate street signs to them to help with the reading. Including street exists or anything with words. Tell them look this sign or street says ____; and you fill in the blank with the word you read.

Now you made it to the beach, they go in the water, they plan with sand toys and you still need activities to do. No problem, I got you! Remember to bring sight words flash card appropriate for their ages. First I think the whole family should write their name on the sand either with their finger or seashells. For beginner readers they should start with letters, children under two years old you can start with letters. For children over three years old  you can start with sight words. Therefore, ask them to do sight words and to write it with seashells. This will increase fine motor skills, enhance their creativity in seeing the different ways to form seashells to make words. 

After using the seashells ask them to write the word on the sand. Then you write the word you want them to read. It can be a street sign or a billboard you passed on the way to the beach. Write the sight word for them to read to.

This should be fun and I would love for you to share pictures of it with me soon! Enjoy and please leave comments. 

Comments